Moving on!

G’day everybody,

I’m finally back on the road! The last days on the farm have been rough… Not because of the work, but because of the huge amount of money, I ended up investing in my van. 743$ to be exact! The WOF was due, so I brought it into the workshop, but a backpacker’s car wouldn’t be a backpacker’s car without sudden issues, that only appear, when they need to pass certain mechanical tests. This time, my van decided to wreck it’s battery first of all. But that was not it. Also, the passenger’s door played up, making it impossible to change the oil, which is located underneath the passenger seat. And if that wasn’t already enough, I ended up failing the WOF either way, due to a tiny hole of rust in the frame of my boot… It’s tiny… and in my boot… How does this affect my driving?! And why does it cost 480$ (!!) to patch up a hole?!?!

Many many hours at the mechanic and 743$ later, I eventually had everything ready to go… Well, except for the money because that was gone. So practically, I can start looking for a new job straight away. Any offers??

Just in case of emergency, Joel offered me to come back any time, if I need work. Seems like he was quite happy with me. Apparently, I had been the best worker, he ever had! ๐Ÿ™‚ But to be honest, I have enough of work for a while and I need a break after working straight for two and a half months without a single day off…

So, wherever the wind would carry me, I started my journey into the unknown. Just kidding, my destination was Wellington, but I wanted to make sure, that I don’t miss out on anything on the way, which is why I took an extremely windy detour and ended up in “Castlepoint”, feeling like I need to throw up. Once again…

Because Karma wouldn’t be Karma without messing with me, the weather was pretty bad, when I actually felt better to explore what Castlepoint is famous for: its lighthouse. After fighting against strong winds and massive raindrops (just kidding :P), I finally got up to the top and got instantly rewarded with impressive views, despite bad weather.

Other than those windy bits, I thoroughly enjoyed the way down to Wellington, though. It took me past the mountains of the “Tongariro Crossing” (that I still haven’t done yet) and through a gorge. I had more time, than I asked for to explore the gorge because roadworks caused a 4km line-up of cars!! I’m not even joking! It was ridiculous! You could not even guess the end of it, it just kept going and going and going and that from both sides! I think, the gorge was about 6km long, but it took me an hour to get through!!

Other than that, I safely made it to Wellington. Luckily, the weather was quite good down here, but the wind, that Wellington is known for, surely still didn’t let me down. From a beehive-shaped parliament building to cable cars, Wellington offers it all. The Cable Car was actually quite…. disappointing for what you pay. It takes you up a hill and saves you a lot of walking to get to the botanic gardens, but you’re literally sitting in this cable car for not even a minute and pay 4$ one way! At least you get a nice light show on the way up and down though! And the views from the top of the hill are spectacular!

After a long day stroll through Wellington, watching the ferries coming in and out of the harbour was definitely relaxing. I just wish, that I would have been on there as well already. I mean, Wellington is nice, but it’s another city… Too busy and too crowded.

I got an amazing impression of how crowded it actually is from the top of “Mount Victoria”. It probably gives you the best views over Wellington’s harbour, stadium and airport. With it being one out of 176 windy days in Wellington, it got quite chilly up there though, which is why I also decided to take the same bus, that I took up, about 15 minutes later back again. The driver must have felt a bit sorry for me, though, as he decided to let me go for free. I don’t know, how that always happens to me, but I surely won’t say no ๐Ÿ˜›

Tuesday was then finally the day of new adventures. Around noon, I hopped on the ferry, heading towards the South Island and new adventures! Well, it didn’t go as smooth, as I hoped for… I had to wait in my car under the burning sun for about 5 hours, before I could actually drive onto the ferry! “Sunburn” is a pretty nice way to describe my current skin condition! ๐Ÿ˜› But the views, that I had been offered during the ferry ride definitely made up for it!

Bye for now, North Island!

Always remember: Dare Yourself and Prove them wrong!



15 thoughts on “Moving on!”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s